What is Health Law?
Health law is an umbrella term to describe the federal, state and local laws and regulations that apply to all aspects of the health care industry—from small health care provider practices to multi-state health systems to the pharmaceutical and device companies to insurance companies to public health agencies. The laws governing health care operations and individual patients are increasingly complex. Specialized legal training is critical to effective advocacy.
Join Us in a Growing Field
Demonstrate your readiness to practice in the complex world of health law with a concentration in health law. Health lawyers work in many settings. Whether you want to represent individual providers, patients or large organizations—or help shape policy—there is a place for you in health law. A few examples of employers and areas of law include:
- Law firm health law practices
- Advising hospitals, long term care facilities, physician groups, and other health care providers on business planning, compliance, malpractice, licensure and disciplinary action
- Advising insurance companies
- Advising life sciences and technology industry on research compliance, intellectual property issues, and product development
- Individual advocacy: small law firms or not-for-profits
- Elder law
- Medical malpractice
- Employment discrimination
- Challenging insurance and coverage determinations
- In-house counsel in health care delivery or life sciences entities
- Government employment in federal or state health, insurance, or public health agencies
- Health care policy development
- Health care consulting groups
Health Law Student Association
The Health Law Student Association actively participates in and hosts competitions, service projects, networking and other education activities. They aim to highlight the regulatory and legal strategies implemented to ensure quality patient care and safety. The health law student organization is open to all Creighton law students.
You must earn 13-14 hours worth of credit and maintain a 3.0 GPA within the Health Law concentration. The courses that satisfy this requirement are indicated below. Learn more about each on the Courses page.
Health Law Survey 391 (3)
Healthcare Organizations 376 (2)
Healthcare Insurance Law 347 (2)
HIPAA Privacy and Security 360 (1)
Bioethics and the Law 322 (3)
Health Law Externship (3) or Alternative Dispute Resolution 310 (2-3) or Mediation Process 404 (3)
Food and Drug Law
Employee Benefits Law