In addition to teaching immigration law at Creighton University School of Law, Professor Ellison also now heads up the Milton R. Abrahamson Legal Clinic’s immigrant and refugee clinic. This is through his work with the Immigrant Legal Center (formerly known as Justice for Our Neighbors–Nebraska), where Ellison serves as legal director and spearheads impact litigation on a national level. Before joining ILC, Ellison worked in the New York Asylum Office, within the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, where he adjudicated asylum claims and provided training to asylum officers on developing areas of refugee law.
Professor Ellison currently serves as the Chicago Asylum Office Liaison for the Iowa/Nebraska Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association; he sits on the Board of Directors of the National Board of Immigration Lawyers; and he is the former chair of the Nebraska State Bar Association’s Immigration Law Section. He is licensed to practice law in New York, Nebraska, the U.S. District Court for the District of Nebraska, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, and the U.S. Supreme Court.
- BA (2004), Trinity College
- JD (2009), Hofstra University School of Law
- Immigration Law
- Creighton Immigrant and Refugee Clinic
Publications and Presentations
- Charles Shane Ellison, Defending Refugees: A Case for Protective Procedural Safeguards in the Persecutor Bar Analysis, 33 Geo. Immigr. L.J. 213 (2019).
- Charles Ellison and Kevin Ruser, Seeking Predicate Findings in Nebraska for Special Immigrant Juveniles, The Nebraska Lawyer, Vol. 21, No. 4 (July/August 2018).
- Charles Ellison, Being Deprived of the Right to Effective Counsel in Removal Proceedings: Why the Eighth Circuit’s Decision in Rafiyev Must be Overturned, 49 Creighton L. Rev. 523 (2016).
- Michael S. Vastine and Charles Ellison, The Ethics of Balancing Humanity and Lawyering: Dual Representation with Families in Crisis and Other Ethical Issues Surrounding Vulnerable Immigrants, AILA Practice Pointers, National AILA Conference (June 2016).
- Charles Ellison, Extending Due Process Protections to Unadmitted Aliens Within the U.S. Through the Functional Approach of Boumediene, 3 Critical Legal Studies Journal 1 (Winter 2010).
- AILA Iowa-Nebraska Annual Conference, Omaha, NE, Asylum and SIJ, September 2016
- National AILA Conference, Las Vegas, NV, The Ethics of Balancing Humanity and Lawyering, June 2016
- AILA Midwest Conference, Minneapolis, MN, Advanced Asylum Issues, May 2016
- Seventh Conference on Effective Representation of Refugees and Asylees, CLINIC, Omaha, NE, Overview of Removal Proceedings, March 2016
- National AILA Asylum Conference, San Antonio, TX, Trauma: The Hidden Challenge of Asylum Representation, February 2016
- University of Nebraska Medical Center, College of Public Health, Grand Rounds, Omaha, NE, The Intersection of Immigration Law and Healthcare, January 2016
- Nebraska State Bar Association 2015 Annual Meeting, La Vista, NE, Strategies for Representing Unaccompanied Children on Asylum and SIJ Cases, October 2015
- University of Iowa Law School, AILA Iowa-Nebraska Fall Conference, Des Moines, IA, Asylum Law Basics, September 2015
- Creighton Law School, AILA Iowa-Nebraska Chapter Conference, Omaha, NE, Representing Unaccompanied Children, May 2015
- Advocates for Human Rights, Asylum Roundtable, Minneapolis, MN, Seeking Asylum for Unaccompanied Children, February 2015
- University of Minnesota Law School, Immigration Litigation in Federal Court, Minneapolis, MN, Litigating Asylum Cases in the Eighth Circuit, January 2015
- Omaha Press Club, KIOS Noon Forum, Omaha, NE, Implications of the President’s Executive Action Relating to Immigration Enforcement Priorities, January 2015 (Broadcast on February 16, 2015)