Medical Microbiology and Immunology (Master of Science)
Other Programs Available
Your future of discovery is waiting for you.
Prepare for the next step in your career as a medical scientist or educator with Creighton University’s Master of Medical Microbiology and Immunology program. Through a combination of course work and laboratory experience, this master’s program can prepare you for opportunities teaching at the undergraduate level or participating in research in as little as two years.
Find your place in a growing field.
The number of jobs requiring a master’s degree in medical microbiology and immunology is expected to rise more than 12 percent in the next decade with a median annual salary of $71,718. Many graduates use their newfound knowledge and skills to educate others in undergraduate programs – especially at universities with research programs. Other graduates have found new opportunities as leading scientists in pharmaceutical and biotech companies and government agencies.
Source: Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI) – October 2017
Take advantage of our small class sizes.
Creighton University’s School of Medicine has been training health professionals for more than 125 years. Our medical microbiology and immunology program provides students with the specialized equipment, broad expertise and resources of a larger university, but with smaller class sizes. This advantage allows for each student to have regular interaction with faculty members and other students in their cohort, as well as additional hands-on training with research equipment and tools in the lab. By focusing on a small group of students, our faculty can cover each topic in the program with more depth, which leads to a comprehensive, well-rounded education.
To earn the Master of Science in Medical Microbiology and Immunology degree at Creighton University, you must complete 30 credits:
- Foundations of Microbiology
- Advanced Microbial Pathogenesis
- Diagnostic Microbiology
- Bacterial Physiology
- Host Defense
- Cellular and Molecular Immunology
- Advanced Immunology
- Molecular Virology
- Advanced Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy
- Current Topics in Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Department Seminar and Teaching
- Directed Independent Readings: Selected Topics in Medical Microbiology and Immunology
- Directed Independent Study
- Directed Independent Research for Master’s Degree Students
- Master’s Thesis
- Completed application & $50 application fee
- Bachelor’s degree with 3.0 GPA or higher
- Must include coursework in biological and chemical sciences. Students should have a strong foundation in microbiology, immunology, molecular biology, and biochemistry
- Official transcripts from all educational institutions attended
- Personal statement. See application for specific requirements
- Three letters of recommendation from persons other than friends or family members who can speak to your performance in an academic or professional setting
- Graduate Record Exam (GRE) score. Use school code 6121 for this program
A personal interview may be requested in addition to the above requirements. The interview may be conducted in-person or virtually.
Tuition is waived and health insurance is provided for students accepted into Creighton’s medical microbiology and immunology master’s program.
Program Start Date
- The courses required for the master’s degree serve as the foundation for the Ph.D. program. Additional research and a doctoral dissertation are required to complete the doctoral program.
- Students who have already completed the Master of Science in Medical Microbiology and Immunology program may have a maximum of 30 credit hours transferred to the doctoral program.
- Available on campus.
A full listing of courses offered for the Doctor of Philosophy with a Major in Medical Microbiology and Immunology can be found in the course catalog.